Saturday, May 06, 2006

Revived after 2 months

It actually slipped my mind that my blog is almost dead! I am here to revive things up. The last time I wrote was 2 months ago. And I hope I will not need to wait for another 2 months to post something in here again. Anyway, what else is new? Life has been simply buzzzzyyyyyyyyy. Especially after 44 cases of HFMD which has hit the school since the past 2 months. Teachers have been busy as well. Its cascading down... Sup pressured 'Emily' -> 'Emily' pressured teachers. As a result, we have to report work as early as 645am to baby sit kids who come early to schoool. On top of that, it is the exam week where we be working double sessions. The only thing I am glad is, now we work 5-days/week. It makes a lot of difference to me.

I can't remember that I went through any systematic way of learning how to read. All I can recall is...mom sitting beside me teaching me to spell and match the sound. Most the time, I was struggle to learn recognising word and to match its pronounciation. I can't understand then how could Sesame Street and readings able to help me improve my English.
Now I realise mom has been using phonics to help me how to read. Phonics is just a term to describe the method of teaching elementary reading and spelling based on phonetic terms. Ever since then, I have been interested to know more about Phonics. So, I attended Prisc's Phonics workshop one Saturday because I was motivated to go. Prisc is so full of drives to share her experiences and strategies with us. Somehow, it motivates me to try out her strategies. I want to learn from experiences how I can reach out to kids who did not know how to read. I can try out the REAP programme from NLB but yet to find out more about it. In the mean time, I want to apply the strategies with my own 'sheeps' in class. We have 2 weeks after the exam. While the rest of the class are busy with some educational games, my weak lot will be with me for phonics lesson. Will try it out and post my results later in the month. I have not even started, yet I am all eager to know the outcome of my little experiment.
Ros bleaming with enthusiasm...outz

No comments: